(Last Updated on July 14, 2022)
One of the biggest barriers to successful weight loss is an overactive appetite.
Our appetite doesn’t always know what’s best for us!
It can lead to a calorie surplus and ultimately, weight gain or zero weight loss progress.
What’s the solution?
Should you simply eat less by pure willpower?
No, the solution is an effective and safe appetite suppressant.
Eat only what your body needs, without suffering from cravings or unnecessary snacking.
We decided to scour the market for the very best appetite suppressants to help you control your cravings.
Best Appetite Suppressant Pills to Control Hunger and Lose Weight
The first spot on our list goes to PhenQ, a comprehensive appetite suppressant which helps with all stages of the weight loss journey.
As well as curbing your cravings and suppressing your appetite, it helps to burn stored fat.
A bonus is that it gives your mood a boost and helps you to stay energized as you strive to achieve your weight loss goals.
The key appetite suppressing ingredient is chromium picolinate1.
Chromium is a popular appetite suppressant because it is sourced naturally through our food, so our body is already used to the presence of it.
By controlling blood sugar, chromium helps to reduce those diet-ruining sugar and carbohydrate cravings.
It also gives you the sensation of fullness so your appetite remains under control.
PhenQ also contains Nopal cactus extract2, a high-fiber, high-protein ingredient which leaves you feeling full and satisfied between meals.
It also gives your muscles a hit of amino acids for a powerful workout.
The other ingredients are:
- Capsimax Powder: a mixture of capsicum, pepper, vitamin B3, and caffeine. Boosts your metabolism via thermogenesis (body heat), and even helps to stop new fat cells from forming.
- L-Carnitine Fumarate: an amino acid which helps the body to use stored fat as energy3.
PhenQ is a great appetite suppressant for people with weight loss and fat loss goals but prefer to stick to all-natural ingredients.
How it works?
- Uses fiber and protein (Chromium, Nopal) to encourage a feeling of fullness and satiety.
- Increases body temperature and metabolism (capsicum, pepper) to burn fat faster.
- Encourages the burning of stored fat (L-Carnitine Fumarate).
- Boosts energy and mood (Caffeine, Chromium) to help you stick to your diet and workout plan for long-lasting results.
- Curbs the appetite and reduces sugar cravings.
- Helps to burn stored fat.
- Boosts the energy and mood.
- Vegan and vegetarian-friendly.
- All-natural, safe ingredients.
- No reported side effects.
- Each bottle lasts for a month (60 pills, 2 per day).
- Rather expensive.
- Not ideal for caffeine-sensitive people.
Number two on the list is the LeanBean dietary supplement.
This has been designed especially for females who want to lose weight, tone up, and reach fitness goals.
The key to this supplement is that it suppresses the appetite, helping the user to stick to a calorie deficit and ultimately shed excess weight.
Leanbean has been formulated to help females to control cravings, with the idea that females experience stronger cravings than males, thanks to different hormone fluctuations.
The key appetite suppressing ingredient is Konjac fiber.
This fiber is called Glucomannan4, and expands in your stomach, making you feel full and sated.
This natural, soluble fiber also helps to regulate the digestion and cleanse the bowel.
This is great for energy levels, weight loss (not to mention a glowing complexion).
Glucomannan is an effective ingredient that has been approved by the European Food Safety Authority as a safe and suitable weight loss aid.
The other ingredients are:
- Choline: helps the body to process fat and use it as an energy source. It helps to reduce cholesterol and can even help to reduce the risk of fatty liver disease5 .
- Chromium Picolinate: controls blood sugar levels and keeps carb and sugar cravings under control.
- B vitamins (B6 and B12): B vitamins help the body to metabolize food for energy, keeping you energized for effective, calorie-burning workouts.
- Garcinia Cambogia: popular appetite suppressant6.
- Turmeric: a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory which supports digestive health (great for reducing bloating and encouraging a flatter stomach)7.
- Green Coffee: for a mild hit of energizing caffeine without the “jitters”8.
This is an ideal appetite suppressant for women who do not want to amp themselves up with high doses of caffeine and stimulants.
It provides very small amounts of caffeine, but certainly not enough to disrupt sleep or cause side effects such as a racing heart or anxiety.
How it works?
- Uses soluble fiber (glucomannan) to make you feel full so you can stick to a calorie plan.
- Reduces sugar and carb cravings (Chromium Picolinate) so you don’t slip up and overindulge.
- Boosts your energy levels (B vitamins, green coffee) so you can stay active.
- Speeds up the metabolism so your body can burn fat faster (choline, zinc, piperine).
- Designed especially for the female body and metabolism.
- Safe and natural.
- Created in FDA-registered facilities.
- A small dose of caffeine (great for people with sleep issues).
- A little pricey.
- A low dose of caffeine (a negative for people who’d like a strong stimulant with their appetite suppressant).
3. Instant Knockout
Next up, we have Instant Knockout.
This supplement was created to help pro fighters reach their fighting weight (hence the fist-shaped bottle!).
However, it’s not just for fighters, it’s for anyone wanting to shed fat and curb their appetite.
What’s great about this appetite suppressant and fat burning aid is that it also speeds up the metabolism so you can reach your goals faster.
If your weight loss plan is combined with some serious workouts, you’ll be pleased to know that Instant Knockout contains energy-boosting ingredients designed for maximum exertion in the gym.
The main appetite suppressing component in Instant Knockout is glucomannan, the same soluble fiber found in Leanbean (above).
This is a natural ingredient that comes from the konjac plant.
Glucomannan is not digested, which means it remains in the gut in an expanded state, giving you the feeling of fullness.
It’s also great for regularity and toxin removal.
The result is that you can stick to your caloric deficit without feeling deprived and hungry.
The other main ingredients are:
- Green tea extract: speeds up the metabolism, helps to break down fat and provides energy with caffeine9.
- Caffeine Anhydrous: boosts energy, sharpens focus, and helps with extra-hard workouts10.
- Cayenne pepper: contains capsaicin which improves the metabolism and insulin sensitivity to help the body process carbs and sugars11.
- Zinc: helps the body to process nutrients and create energy for successful workouts, and improves fat content in the blood12.
- GTF Chromium: helps the body to process carbs and sugars, regulates insulin, curbs cravings, and helps to suppress the appetite.
Note that the caffeine content is quite high, with 300 milligrams of caffeine anhydrous per serving.
If you drink coffee on top of this, your daily caffeine intake will be high and could disrupt your sleep. For this reason, don’t be tempted to take more than the recommended 4 capsules a day.
This is a great choice for you if you want to get those cravings under control, suppress a rampant appetite, burn more fat, and get a pretty hefty dose of caffeine to get the most out of your workouts.
How it works?
- Suppresses the appetite (glucomannan) and curbs cravings for calorie-dense carbs and sugars (chromium) so you can maintain a calorie deficit.
- Boosts focus and energy levels (caffeine anhydrous) so you can power through exercise and any diet-related fatigue.
- Kicks the metabolism (green tea, cayenne pepper) so you can burn more calories throughout the day.
- Helps to break down stored fat (green tea) and hinders the creation of new fat cells (Alpha-2 receptor found in green tea).
- Natural ingredients with no “red flag” or banned ingredients.
- Supports the entire weight loss process as well as suppressing the appetite.
- If you don’t notice any results after 3 months, you can get your money back.
- High caffeine content (a negative for people who are sensitive to caffeine or have sleep issues).
4. NutriRise Garcinia Cambogia
Garcinia Cambogia comes from the rind of the Garcinia Cambogia fruit and is one of the most popular appetite suppressants today.
NutriRise offers one of the most potent formulas on the market, the daily dosage (from two pills) is a generous 3000 milligrams.
What’s great about this product is that it’s incredibly simple, with one ingredient: Garcinia Cambogia.
What’s more, it offers a high potency of the active ingredient in Garcinia Cambogia, HCA (hydroxycitric acid).
The 80% potency is excellent and much higher than other pure Garcinia Cambogia products on the market.
HCA helps to stop the production of fat cells, and most importantly, suppresses the appetite.
It does so by boosting your serotonin levels, which has the bonus of improving your mood.
How it works?
- Suppresses the appetite by increasing serotonin levels (serotonin is an appetite suppressant), therefore helps you to maintain your calorie deficit without feeling deprived, grumpy, or fatigued.
- May also help to melt excess fat and improve your cholesterol levels. There is an enzyme in our body called citrate lyase. It encourages the body to create new fat cells. Garcinia Cambogia can actually block this enzyme from doing its job, therefore reducing the amount of stored fat, and even tapping into stored fat.
- 100% natural ingredients.
- High dosage.
- High hydroxycitric acid potency (80%).
- Made in FDA-registered facilities.
- Vegan and non-GMO.
- Can cause headaches and nause.
5. Genius Diet Pills
Last but not least, we have the Genius Diet Pills by The Genius Brand.
There are only two active ingredients in this caffeine-free product.
The first is called 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan from the Griffonia Simplicifolia plant)13.
5-HTP increases serotonin production, which helps to suppress the appetite and curb cravings.
It is sometimes referred to as “nature’s antidepressant”, so you may find your mood lifted and your outlook more positive as a good side effect!
The other key ingredient is saffron extract (under the registered name Satiereal)14.
Like 5-HTP, Satireal also boosts serotonin production, therefore reducing cravings and suppressing the appetite.
It is also said to help reduce and ease emotional eating habits and mindless snacking.
Note that this appetite suppressant has zero caffeine or other stimulants.
It is purely an appetite suppressant, without the “buzz” that other products offer.
This is ideal for people who prefer to get their caffeine hit via coffee or none at all!
Be aware that a rather large number of people have experienced unpleasant side effects of 5-HTP, and The Genius Diet Pills specifically.
Side effects can be nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and headaches.
These people may be more sensitive than others, or perhaps they disregarded the dosage instructions (1 per day).
You may not experience any side effects at all, but it’s smart to be aware of the risks, and the importance of sticking to the prescribed dosage.
There is only 100mg of 5-HTP which is well within, in fact rather below, the recommended maximum of 300-500 grams.
How it works?
- Both 5-HTP and Satireal (saffron extract) increase serotonin production, therefore suppressing the appetite.
- Helps to improve mood (due to serotonin boost) and therefore helps to reduce emotional eating.
- Helps to curb sugar cravings, therefore, contributes to better energy levels by reducing sugary snacks.
- 90-day money-back guarantee.
- Caffeine-free (great for people with sleep issues).
- Supports mood.
- Curbs sugar cravings and mindless snacking.
- Risk of side effects.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is an appetite suppressant?
An appetite suppressant is a supplement designed to create the sensation of fullness and satisfaction.
It is intended to help people to stop eating habits which causes them to take in too many calories, such as mindless snacking.
It can also help to keep portion sizes under control, as a smaller appetite naturally cuts out the desire to overeat.
Some appetite suppressants work by physically filling the stomach so you feel as though you have eaten enough.
These are generally made from soluble fiber such as glucomannan (found in LeanBean).
They don’t necessarily affect your hormones or chemicals, they simply fill you up and make you feel like you don’t need to eat until your next planned meal.
Other appetite suppressants (such as Garcinia Cambogia, saffron, and 5-HTP) work by increasing serotonin production, and serotonin is an appetite suppressant.
This can also help to deal with emotional eating as it helps to lift the mood and reduce the need for comfort eating.
Appetite suppressants such as Chromium Picolinate improve the body’s insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar levels.
This helps to stabilize the rise and fall of energy, and also helps to curb sugar and carbohydrate cravings, thus reducing the amount of calorie-dense food eaten.
Who should buy an appetite suppressant?
Like all medications and supplements, it’s always best to check with your doctor before trying them.
Certain medications could interact badly with an appetite suppressant, or reduce its effectiveness.
People with certain conditions such as high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, kidney trouble, and liver issues may be advised to avoid appetite suppressants.
You shouldn’t consider buying an appetite suppressant if you:
- Are under 18.
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Are recovering from an eating disorder.
- Are on regular medication (unless your doctor approves).
You could try an appetite suppressant if:
- You have a clean bill of health.
- You have a healthy, balanced diet and exercise plan in place.
- You have been given the go-ahead by your doctor.
- You are aware of any side effects which may arise.
What are the benefits of appetite suppressants?
- They help to stop mindless grazing.
- They help you to stick to a prescribed diet plan.
- They help you to keep to a calorie deficit for weight loss.
- They help you to enjoy your main meals without overeating and take food off your mind between meals.
- They help to get cravings under control for long-term health benefits.
- They can help to improve mood (especially if they increase serotonin production).
- They can boost energy and exercise stamina (if they contain caffeine).
- They can help to burn stored fat and boost the metabolism (if they contain thermogenic ingredients such as Capsimax powder).
What ingredients should I look for?
It’s always advisable to look for ingredients that come from natural sources, such as plant-based fibers and vitamins.
These are some of the most popular, effective, and safe appetite suppressant ingredients (all of which you will find in our top 5 products):
- Garcinia Cambogia,
- Nopal extract,
- Chromium Picolinate,
- Satiereal Saffron,
- Konjac fiber.
Are there any side effects?
It depends on the ingredients and if the dosage instructions have been followed, but yes, certain side effects can affect some people.
The 5 products on our list contain mostly natural ingredients, with no banned substances.
When the instructions are followed correctly, the risk of experiencing side effects is low.
Appetite suppressants which contain caffeine for energy can cause:
- Insomnia or sleep troubles.
- Racing heart.
Side effects of fiber-based appetite suppressants such as glucomannan:
- Constipation or diarrhea.
- Stomach ache.
- Bloated stomach.
Side-effects of Garcinia Cambogia can include:
- Headaches or migraines.
- Feeling sick and nauseated.
- Stomach ache.
Side-effects of 5-HTP can include:
- Stomach ache and digestive issues.
- Anxiety and “the jitters”.
- Sore muscles.
Appetite suppressants are great for helping you to reach your weight loss goals when combined with a healthy diet and exercise plan.
It’s important to find natural, safe products with a transparent ingredients list.
All five of the products on our list offer natural ingredients in safe doses, without any banned or dangerous substances.
This doesn’t mean that there are no possible side effects, as even natural supplements can cause certain issues such as headaches and nausea when taken incorrectly.
Our top 5 products offer a range of benefits for different needs, from purely suppressing the appetite, to offering energy and fat burning capabilities.
For a caffeine-free appetite suppressant, check out The Genius Brand Genius Diet Pills.
For an appetite suppressant which also offers a major energy boost for hard workouts, try Instant Knockout.
For an all-round appetite suppressant, energy booster, and fat burner in one try PhenQ.
Before taking an appetite suppressant, talk to your doctor about the best plan of action.
Ensure that an appetite suppressant won’t interfere with any medications or pre-existing health conditions.
And finally, always follow the instructions and take the recommended dosage for the best results and the lowest risk of side effects.