(Last Updated on March 18, 2022)
I left my teenage angst behind me many years ago, but have found that the breakouts I suffered on my skin then can still happen now. Couple that with the added signs of a well lived in skin and I am fighting a losing battle. Or am I?
There are many ways to combat the signs of aging1 if you are willing to spend a fortune on dermatological treatments. And as for the breakouts, well the hormones don’t help!
MD Complete is a company that claims to provide:
Access to dermatologist-level results in the appearance of skin tone & texture without a prescription.
The Anti Aging Range is endorsed by Marie Osmond. It is apparently among her favorite products. She is about my age and I think she still looks good.
Let’s have a look whether those claims hold up.
What Is MD Complete?
The face behind the company is Dr. Brian Zelickson, a board certified Dermatologist and graduate of the Mayo Clinic.
He has been active in the creation of modern laser medicine and surgeries. He is President elect of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery.
The company produces two lines of products, one to deal with acne and one to deal with the effects of aging.
What Products Do The Company Offer?
The Acne Clearing Range has six individual products. These can also be bought as a complete system, they are:
- Clarifying Cleanser – exfoliates, clarifies and soothes skin.Also aims to wash away the impurities that can clog pores.
- Breakout Treatment – helps eliminate and prevent breakouts( We will look at this product in more detail).
- CItrus C Healthy Complexion – a serum to help diminish post-acne dark marks and refine skin texture. Also aims to moisturize the skin.
- Acne Clarifying Gel Mask – a gentle chemical peel to be used once a month.
- Healthy Skin Probiotic – a blend of Vitamin B and probiotics delivered in a liquid supplement.
The Anti Aging Range has eight products aiming to deal with fine lines, dark spots, lack of radiance and moisturization.
- Wrinkle & Radiance Remedy – reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and firms the skin. ( We will also look at this product in more detail)
- Eye Wrinkle Corrector – hydrates the eyes to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles whilst toning and brightening the skin.
- Dark Spot Corrector – helps fade dark spots caused by sun damage
- Radiance Renewing Deep Moisturizer – a moisturizer that hydrates and plumps the skin
- 3-Day Booster Pack – contains a cleanser, a peel and a moisturizer.
- Youthful Skin Sun Shield – a fragrance free moisturizer with SPF50 sunscreen.
- Restoring Cleanser – a cream cleanser and makeup remover.
- Retinol Vitamin C Concentrate – a serum designed to boost the results of your skincare regime.
There are a combination of systems available for sale.
MD Complete Ingredients
Let’s take a look at the main ingredients of two of the products offered, one from each range.
Acne Breakout Treatment
This product has over thirty ingredients. We will examine some of the key ones:
- Benzoyle Peroxide 4.5% – used as an alternative to antibiotics in the treatment of acne2 .
- Allantoin & Chamomile – to help heal and calm the skin3.
- Lentil Seed & Algae Extract – antioxidants to help the skin fight acne.
- Bisabolol – a skin conditioning and soothing agent4 .
- Oleanic Acid – has anti inflammatory properties5.
All ingredients are Dermatologist Tested on humans and are paraben-free.
Wrinkle & Radiance Remedy
This product has over fifty ingredients, so again we will examine some of the key ones:
- Retinol – is known to hydrate the skin and promote collagen production6.
- Peptides – proven to reduce wrinkles7.
- Vitamin C – used to treat and prevent the signs of photoaging8 .
- Fruit Seed Extracts – (Cranberry, Raspberry, Borago, Black Cumin) – antioxidants which help hydrate and moisturize.
A clinical study was carried out on the efficacy of this product and found similar clinical improvements in photoaged skin as a professionally dispensed prescription system.
In fact the participants preferred this over the counter product.
How Does MD Complete Work?
Acne tends to be more prevalent in teenagers due to hormonal changes but can happen at any age. The four main causes are:
- Excess oil production
- Hair follicles clogged by oil and dead skin cells
- Excess activity of a type of hormone (androgens)
The Acne Clearing Range includes ingredients recommended for over the counter acne treatment. They can kill bacteria, help prevent pores from blocking, remove dead skin cells and reduce inflammation.
Unfortunately the signs of aging take their toll on all of us eventually.
Fine lines and wrinkles appear where we once had smooth skin. How soon these appear can depend on our genetics, and can be exacerbated by sun exposure and smoking.
The signs of aging appear due to reduction of the building blocks of our skin, collagen and elastin.
Ingredients that can help aged skin include retinoids, alpha hydroxy acids, or peptides. These ingredients can help encourage new cell growth and remove dead or damaged cells.
Lactic acid, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and hyaluronic acid can also help to moisturize the skin and improve the appearance.
These ingredients can all be found in this range of anti aging products.
Both these ranges include dermatologically tested ingredients that been proven to address skin issues to some degree.
MD Complete Side Effects
The side effects of these products may depend on the specific item.
Acne fighting ingredients can cause skin irritation and inflammation. Particularly, benzoyl peroxide may dry out the skin if used in large quantities.
We have only looked at some key ingredients here.
The full list of ingredients for each product can be found on the company website. If you may be allergic to any ingredients at least you can check first.
Some products are not advised for use when pregnant or breastfeeding.
As with any new products, patch test first and follow the instructions. If you are unsure consult your doctor.
MD Complete Reviews & Complaints
The reviews for these products are on the whole very positive. Across the range available on Amazon they all score over 3.5 stars.
- Of 40 reviews for the Wrinkle and Radiance Trio 75% are 5 stars.
- Of 71 reviews of the Acne Breakout Treatment 56% are 5 stars.
Kathleen L Watters writes on the Wrinkle and Radiance Trio:
I found out about MD Complete through a TV ad and am thankful I did! I am 68 and has tried everything with no results. I have been using MD Complete for about one year and love these products! Not too greasy and quickly absorbed with visible results…hooray!
While a not so satisfied Corrine Smith writes:
I’m an esthetician…..I was hoping for a better results….would I purchase again…..probably not.
The other negative comments about this range include it being greasy or not perfume free. Some people found it did not work at all.
Moving on to the Acne Breakout Treatment, again a lot of positive reviews.
This stuff is amazing, I have never seen breakouts go away so quickly and I have been dealing with them for the past 10 years! Heads up, it is medicated so you might see some discoloration on pillows or towels, but IT IS WORTH IT.
Of the negative reviews people state that the product does not work . Some experienced drying of the skin, or burning and irritation. Some even say they got more spots.
Rachel Vandoren writes:
I give this 2 stars because it did make my skin soft and vibrant. My only problem is though, that’s it has yet to stop breakouts and I’ve been using it for almost 2 months. I wake up with daily whiteheads and sometimes big hurtful under the skin pimples. Product did remove oils and dead skin, but not acne. I wouldn’t waste my money buying again. What’s the point of beautiful soft skin when it’s still covered with pimples? Very disappointed.
MD Complete: Packages, Prices & Where To Buy
The products are all available for purchase on the MD Complete official website. They cost:
Shipping and Handling is free on orders over $35, otherwise it is $2.95.
The company offers a 90 day money back guarantee from date of purchase on all items. Unused items must be returned and accompanied by a return authorization number, which you can obtain by calling their customer services.
See below how the official site looks like.
MD Complete Pros & Cons
MD Complete Review: Final Words
This appears to be a comprehensive range of products for acne and anti aging from a reputable company. The ingredients in the products are backed by clinical studies.
Customer reviews are, on the whole, favorable. As the old proverb says: “one man’s meat is another man’s poison” and these products may not be suitable for everyone.
I would maybe consider trying one of products as a stand alone before investing in a whole range. It may be wise to see if the products suit your skin before spending too much money.
Alternately you can always consult a dermatologist to see what they have to offer.
We laid out the facts, will you buy MD Complete? Comment below and tell us what you think!